Friday, January 9, 2009

Angie is throwing up and we visit a hospital!

So Angie woke up feeling sick yesterday. Around 1 pm she began throwing up and did that several times an hour until 8 pm when I threw her in the car and we went to my new favorite hospital, Gilbert Hospital.

Before I go on, I know what you are all thinking: "What? Chris, the FedEx BCS National Championship football game was going on and you stopped watching to take care of Angie? You are a Saint!"

I appreciate your kind thoughts, I really do, but nothing is too good for my Angie! Plus she was puking a lot! I knew our good old friend, Dehydration, would be coming for a visit soon.

The people at Gilbert Hospital could not have been nicer! They gave me a nice chair, they put the football game on a nice small flatscreen in the room for us to watch and they have a soda fountain right there in the ER! Free Diet Cokes all night long! And as an added bonus, they took really good care of Angie.

We were there for a total of 5 1/2 hours with all kinds of tests, IVs, doctors, nurses, etc. The long and short of it is that she was really dehydrated, had a nasty virus and has to stay in bed on various drugs for a couple of days.

The only sketchy part of the whole evening was near the middle of our stay in the hospital when she was dehydrated and starting to go in and out of being lucid. I knew she was totally out of it when she turned to me at halftime of the game and said "If I die, you can remarry."

This was not what I was expecting to hear from my poor sick wife. She wasn't THAT sick, but she felt like dying. I copy the exchange below. Now all you women with perfect husbands can cast the first stone. If not, don't pretend your husband isn't the same!

Angie: If I die, you can remarry.

Chris: Don't worry, I wouldn't remarry.

Angie: Seriously, it's ok and I know you--you can't be alone.

Chris: I didn't say I would be alone, I just said I wouldn't get remarried.

Suddenly it was like a flash of white hot energy went through her entire body. She had a heaven-sent source of adrenaline! It was a hospital miracle! She was going to live!

When the doctors pulled her off me she was still screaming "I am beating you on behalf of all women" over and over. Luckily the drugs kicked in soon after and she was able to rest.

If she asks me about it today I will tell her she was dreaming and that the entire night was a blur of pain, drugs and football.

8 comments:

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

Poor girl..I have been in her shoes MANY times (with the hospital puking, MY husband would NEVER say the other things you said)
Hope she is feeling better

Melissa said...

I am so sorry Angie was sick. That's the worst - I hope she is feeling better. Chris - you are a stinker. Hee hee!

Pam said...

Hope Angie is feeling better. I didn't realize she was that sick. Bummer.

Glad the hospital staff treated you, I mean Angie, so well.

qponqwn said...

Hope the virus has run its course!Get well soon!

Stephie said...

Ugh!! She'd be the one I'd be keeping my kids away from while we're waiting for x-rays for whichever limb was broken on whichever child. Hope she feels better soon and that Chris is taking really, really good care of her...and not making her want to beat him for every woman on earth, even if he deserves it!! :-)

Galloway Family said...

Nice Christmas card, we enjoy watching your family grow. I copied your idea of adding blogspot to our card as well. It's been fun reading up on your family. Do you mind if I add your family to our list of friends.

Sorry, to hear about Angie getting the stomach virus. I hope the rest of your family was speared.

Pam said...

I'm sick too! All the cool people are! I didn't go to the ER, though, as I was too self-medicated to drive and don't know anyone who could've taken me. I just toughed it out.

After that lovely description of your devotion, maybe ANGIE is the one who should remarry. :)

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

she is not still throwing up and you arent STILL in the hospital, so update your blog :)