Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Village Inn ripped me off!! (but it might be my fault)

OK, so Angie and I went out shopping last night and stopped by Village Inn to pick up some pie to eat at home. We have never really gotten pie from Village Inn but the Cheesecake Factory was 15 minutes further away.

It went wrong from the very start.

There was a nice young woman behind the counter. Here is the exchange; you tell me where it went off the tracks:

Village Inn Girl: "Can I help you?"

Chris: "She would like a slice of Cherry pie and I would like a slice of Chocolate Peanut Butter."

Village Inn Girl: "That will be $6.50."**
**take note that my slice of pie cost $3.80

I swiped my debit card and the machine instantly asked me if I wanted to tip 15% or 20%. We have now been in the building 3 minutes. I saw Village Inn Girl move out of my line of vision as she headed to the back to get our pie, so I turned my head slightly to Angie behind me and out of the corner of my mouth uttered:

Chris: "Tip? 15% tip? 20% tip? How about zero?"

It is at this moment I realizeed much to my horror that my superhero-like spidey-senses have detected Village Inn Girl right behind me. She whispered in my ear:

Village Inn Girl: "If you want zero just hit zero. That's fine."

I was mortified; Angie was mortified but it was too late. Village Inn Girl gave us our pie and I slinked out.

When we got to the car I opened the pie container to make sure she hadn't spit in my food. What I found was almost as bad: I had received the smallest piece of pie I have ever seen at a restaurant. And I had paid $3.80! Here is a dramatic recreation using Village Inn's website (click to enlarge):


In the interest of social studies, I went to my friend Kimball's house and "talked him" (ie, had to pay him in pie) into going to Village Inn to order pie as well. This time he was ready to tip big. He ordered, he got a bigger slice.

Angie and I want to make the world a better place. Friends and followers of this blog know that we both want to teach others our valuable life lessons.

Here is what Chris learned: Drive the extra 15 minutes to the Cheesecake Factory if you can. It is so loud there that they won't hear you announcing you won't be tipping.

Here is what Angie learned: stop going out in public with her husband.

8 comments:

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

ha! that is so funny. MAYBE Village in girl just wants to make sure you can fit in your DRESS for next Halloween???? So, really you should thank her. Kimball wont be able to after his big piece.

Ruth said...

I am a firm believer that if you are "served" you pay a tip. (ordering to go isn't being served)I went to PF Changs once and I ordered to go. I didn't tip since they didn't serve me. I saw later in my debit card account that the girl had actually added herself a tip! WHAT?? So I called the manager and asked about it... He later gave us 2 free meals and said he was embarrased! Too funny!

Amy said...

That is so funny! I'll bet she did spit in your piet!

Laurel said...

hahahaha! I think it went off the tracks when you went to Village Inn. Do they have good pie? I've never tried it.

qponqwn said...

I could have told you it was worth the extra 15 (you see, we here in UT county don't have the luxury of choosing 'the factory'). Tip for next time-pick up a rozen Marie Callenders Razzleberry pie (with vanilla ice cream, of course). Your younger sister is very familiar with the therapeutic value of pie! (have you seen the movie The Waittress?)

Christie said...

Uh, yeh, your mistake was going to Village Inn for pie... Too funny! Hope you had a happy Christmas - thanks for the Christmas card, now I will be checking out your blog on a regular basis... Good to see that you're doing well!
~Christie (Sis. Rigtrup in a previous life!) Hall

Stephie said...

People actually BUY pie?? Wow...I wonder if Jim knows about that. Surely if he knew he wouldn't insist I make homemade pies for every holiday...I'll bake you a homemade pie when I visit and hopefully you'll never buy pie again...Plus, Cheesecake Factory isn't pie it's cheesecake and that's different! :-)

Melissa said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!