Monday, December 15, 2008

A Little Culture

Last week we took the boys to the Hale theater to see "A Christmas Carol". I didn't actually tell the boys where we were going until right before we left for the play. To say that they were not happy would be an understatement. Chandler sulked up until the play started, Jackson just wanted to know what candy he could buy and Christopher ran around outside throwing rocks. I was afraid it was going to be a huge disaster.

We have taken the boys to see musicals before. They have seen "The Lion King" and "Wicked" and they loved both. So I was a little surprised at their reaction to this play. It was almost magical to see how they all softened during the play. It was a great show!! The music and actors were really good. During intermission Jackson asked if we could sit in the balcony next time we come and see a play. Chandler thought it would be cool if we could get season tickets and Christopher decided he wanted to be an actor.

I was surprised that the boys didn't know the story of Scrooge- I guess I have been slacking in my parental duties--but they really got the point and loved the play. I loved the play and think we are going to make it a new Christmas tradition. So at this Christmas time I say "God bless us, every one."

5 comments:

Ruth said...

I lov ethe Hale Theatre!! We took the kids to go see Oklahoma and they loved it! (Camelot wan't so good..but that's ok) How fun!!

Laurel said...

How did I not know you went to this show??? What a great night!

Amy said...

That is funny...I had no idea that your boys didn't want to be there. I'm glad they liked it!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Miners! You guys are so awesome! We need to expose our kids to a little more culture....my daughter currently thinks that HSM3 is Broadway Entertainment.....yes very scary!

Pam said...

I hate to admit that I know all the songs in Wicked, Lion King, Les Mis, Phantom, etc. I am a junkie when it comes to seeing these things. I've never been to the Hale Theatre but I've heard that it is run by a woman who grew up in So.Cal. (and her husband). So I'd better get there one of these days.

Angie, I think the Bear Den could use a little culture. Could you try to budget in a few Broadway style plays for us as field trips this year? Okay, one play would be fine...