Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Camping = Fun!!

So Chandler and I went on our first 11 year old Scout campout this past weekend. Fate, sickness and vacation schedules had conspired to keep us from going on earlier scout campouts.

Needless to say, Chandler was so excited to play with friends in dirt and lake water. How could I deny him?

We went to a place north of here called Apache Lake:



It was a bit of a drive to get to the lake but on the way we stopped when the scout leader spotted a rattlesnake laying on the road. Like any good scout leader, this one got out and bothered the otherwise comfortable snake until he started to rattle. The leader wanted the boys to hear what a rattlesnake sounds like when it is ticked off and rattling so that the boys could be warned and on the lookout. This makes perfect sense to me as a carrier of male chromosomes. Angie, of course, was horrified at this retelling. Her reaction went something like this:

Me: "Wasn't that a good idea?"

Angie: "What? Are you fully retarded or just slow?"

Me: "I'm all man, baby!"

Angie: "I will take that as fully retarded."

If that wasn't cool enough, later on the drive we saw a tarantula. A huge tarantula in fact. So huge that we had to pick it up and let it walk on us. First the boys petted it (yes it was that big) but then they got brave and let it walk on them.

You can all imagine what Angie's reaction was when I told her about this part. It won't surprise you that she has asked my employer if there is a special "short bus" that can take me to work since she doesn't think I should be allowed to drive.

Once we got to the lake Chandler was good about helping me get the tent up, dinner, etc. Luckily the 11 years old scouts are still 11 and were oblivious of the girls in bikinis in the next campsite over. Just to be safe I decided to keep an eye on them and make sure they didn't wander into our campsite and frighten the young boys. You're welcome, Angie. Chandler was safe!

Of course Chandler wanted to get up at 6 am and fish which was fun except for the really smelly bait. We didn't catch any fish but we saw a couple steal the bait.

All in all it was a fun campout and we can't wait to do it again. In case you were wondering-don't worry, the bikini-clad temptresses were not out early Saturday morning. I checked several times just to be safe.

-Chris

8 comments:

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

ha! thanks for the laugh. Poor Angie. Now I know why in your last post you were kissing up to her.
Was that picture REALLY the spider, or was that off the internet? That was huge.

Kyle said...

That is super funny! I am so glad Chris could sacrifice and keep an eye on the bikini girls...what a sacrifice!

Ruth said...

That is hilarious!!! I love the "Fully retarded" part!! Thank you for the early morning laugh!! GREAT!!!

Stephie said...

Angie needs a raise...

Glad you and Chandler had so much fun!! (but isn't there a saying about letting sleeping snakes lie??--okay it might be dogs...or babies...it applies to snakes too) Be sure and check the window to see if the bus is waiting...or does Angie have them honk?? :-)

Love ya!

Laurel said...

I vote for "just slow" but I will agree: All Man! (Don't take that as a compliment.) Funny, funny, funny. You got me. Laughing out loud.

Rosalyn said...

Now I think that your husband is a slacker....... Jerry would have went over to the girls camp, just to engage them in conversation of course, and find out their plans for the evening..... to fully assess the situation. He would have "pretended to flirt" with them, just to keep their attention away from the boys.

Mandy said...

Oh man, I am laughing so hard right now, Chris! That post was hilarious!!

Amy said...

I'm sure you kept a very watchful eye on those girls next camp over:) The scouts were sure lucky to have you there with them:)