Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Anarchy in the UK

So poor Angie had to deal with us driving all day last Sunday back from vacation in California just in time for me to get on an afternoon flight to London. I was gone an entire week for business. It was tough leaving Angie and the boys right after vacation (not that it's easy to leave any time!).

I spent the first couple of days just outside of London. I realized as soon as I landed that I had accidentally left my jacket in hot Phoenix and it was rainy every day in London. A cab driver and I shopped a thrift shop and I found a nice wind breaker for 5 pounds (about 10 bucks). It had a little school insignia on the jacket but I didn't worry about it until I got back to the office and looked up the name of the school and realized it was a school for teenage boys with emotional and behavioral problems! How fitting, some of you are thinking! I just hope that people who saw me walking around with it thought that I was a teacher and not a student :)

I did get into London for some meetings but I also had a nice dinner with my friend Adam who lives in London. He and I started at the same law firm in New York many years ago. Later when Angie and I were in Frankfurt, Adam's future wife, Karen, was dating him in London on the weekends and working in Frankfurt during the week, where we met her also. Anyway Adam and Karen now have a cute house in London and a cuter new baby and it was wonderful to catch up. It was also fun to walk the London streets again and see the tourist sites: parliament, Westminster, Big Ben, etc. Mostly I missed touring with Angie!

Later in the week I went North for several days. I did get to play hooky on a Friday afternoon and trained to York, a beautiful old city. Here is the York minster, the largest Gothic cathedral in Europe outside of Italy:


Here is a medieval street in York called the "Shambles". Notice the rain and the crooked buildings down the street:



On the train I met a man from Zimbabwe, where the inflation is so bad because they just keep printing money. You have to spend money as soon as you get it because prices double every day. He gave me a 50 billion dollar note, currently worth about 50 pence (or $1):



On Saturday I went to a football/soccer game in Newcastle. The Newcastle fans were in a near riot with protests and chanting because the coach had just quit and fans blame the owner so it was a lot of fun and quite a scene! Here I am with my new football friends (notice the Newcastle team Jersey and school jacket):


The home team lost 2-1, but I did get to see Michael Owen play. He is a fantastic player for both Newcastle and the English National team. He is also very popular with the girls. Angie is a fan of his soccer skills!


I am so excited to be back home and have the best wife for putting up with trips like this. Traveling just isn't as fun without her and I can't to get back to England with her!!

9 comments:

Stephie said...

Chris, I hate you...
Looks like you had a great time, but really, wouldn't you rather tour with your wife AND YOUR FAVORITE SISTER? (sorry Micheale but it's true!!) :-) I don't REALLY hate you...just envious!! :-)
Love you and miss you!!

Stephie said...

Oh...I did want to clarify that "your wife and your favorite sister" are two different people...don't want anyone to think you may be FLDS... (soooo un-PC)

Laurel said...

Of course you would make good enough friends with a man from Zimbabwe on a short train ride that he would give you a buck. He probably invited you to his wedding--it's been known to happen. Maybe someday you'll meet a stranger...maybe?

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

wow, that is some good kissing up to Angie. The only time Shane does that is when he is in trouble. So, what did you do bad?? OR, if you are that good and nice to her...where do I take Shane for classes?? I laughed out loud about the jacket though :)

Ruth said...

very cool!! What a fun trip, even if it wasn't with your family!! Too bad the 50 Billion wasn't American dollars eh??

Amy said...

I am smiling thinking of you walking the streets of London with that jacket on:) Hey don't make too much fun of the currency in Zimbabwe...we may end up with those same billion bucks...I guess that will only happen if a democrat ends up in the white house:) Yikes!!!

qponqwn said...

I liked Steph's suggestion (sorry Steph). So when should I get time off? Glad you are having some fun adventures, even if it is disguised as 'work'! Come see us when the snow flies!:)

Elisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elisha said...

Oh, those pictures are gorgeous! Looks like you had a great time! I just wanted to tell you guy that you did an awesome job last week! Brett and I sat down this week talking about things that are important vs thing that are sacred in our lives! It was something we both needed to hear! Thanks!